Friday, August 1, 2014

Dy 158



Senior News will be on the porch in an hour and I’ll be out distributing soon after. Hope to get most of them done this morning. At 11 I will be at the Dems fair booth for a couple of hours. It’s senior day at the fair so I expect to see a lot of familiar faces. The yard work is progressing nicely due to systematic clearing. I want two or three more azaleas and maybe another fruit tree. 

Senior News Column
We know that our brains need good nutrition and exercise but did you know that one of the most dangerous conditions for our brains is loneliness. Being alone, socially and mentally, and physically unstimulated leads to lower synapse activity. The cure is simple and has broad benefits: volunteering.
When my teaching career ended, I knew I had to do something active or I would curl up in a ball and wither away. It is easy to sit in front of the television and watch hours of mind-numbing reruns. It is habit forming. Body muscles begin to shrink in a very short time and there goes the brain too.
My first volunteer duty was tutoring at the continuation high school. Then I realized, “Hey, I’ve done that already. What’s new that I can do?” Through RSVP, (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) and friends, I began to patrol with Crescent City Police Department’s VIPS (Volunteers in Police Service) program. New people, new view of the community, new uses of my skills and new skills. There was even the language of code to learn. I looked forward to my time on duty. I enjoy living here and appreciate the natural beauty so going to the Visitor’s Center at the Chamber of Commerce was a good fit. I like talking to people and hearing about their travels. The historical museum and Battery Point lighthouse are places we send the tourists so it was the next place I took on as a volunteer. I am still learning the stories about the early days and the changes in our county. The museum houses a complete Native American display, baskets and ceremonial costumes. It is an amazing collection and visitors’ rave about it. Another place for socializing while helping a non-profit is the Senior Center. I am there once a week to greet the diners and make sure they are comfortable. I like hearing their stories too.
Our church has plenty of opportunities to prevent loneliness. There are always ways to help out with housekeeping, office work, committee membership, serving as reader or acolyte and studying the Bible with a group.
We are all interested in candidates who want public office. But after the election, do we follow through by attending meetings to see how our officials are doing? I have been attending public meetings and find them more interesting that I expected. The officials are handling issues that affect us and our job after electing them is to see if they are upholding their campaign promises and serving the public good. I’m learning about laws and hurdles that they must face to get things done. I encourage us all to check out public meetings. Hope to see you there.



No comments:

Post a Comment