Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 36



Something shifted yesterday. Maybe a barrier that I had against enjoying what I have. Susanne’s coming adventures made me aware of my routine and I made it wrong to be in a rut. Then I had fun at the center, enjoyed my dogs and my home, laughed a lot, suddenly in love with my life again. Meaningful conversations with people I enjoy resonate and that’s very good. Today I’ll go out in the storm to distribute the senior news.


Senior News column
I have been on my knees digging in the dirt in front of my south facing fence making a bed for pea seeds. The net is in place for them to climb so now they need sun, water, weeding, and patience.
Meanwhile, I took a mini-survey of friends here and afar, neighbors, and total strangers. My questions: Why should older people take an interest in politics? Which elections impact us more, local, state, or federal? What would you like your elected people to do for you?
“Just because we are seniors doesn’t mean we don’t know what’s going on. I’ll support you but you had better not lie to me.” This was said to a candidate in an open house discussion. We need to attend forums, debates, read, and discuss the issues with our friends and neighbors.
One friend enjoys newsletters and e-mails from her senator. It keeps her informed about how he votes on issues. She is against the death penalty and for the rights of the disabled. Her senator feels the same way. The federal officials are in charge of medicare, social security, health care reform and those are vital areas of interest to us. One responded, “Tell the federal government to stop being the policeman to the world and look inside our country and its needs like the homeless population and cost of health care”. One said, “Take away the tobacco subsidies and put the money in the food stamp program. Fix immigration rules and get on with other issues.”
The Sheriff position is the moral conscience of the community. They support self-responsible behavior and take care of those who don’t follow the approved rules. It is an important office whose standards must be high. The District Attorney’s office must be even-handed and sensitive to any lack of fairness. They hold the scales of Justice and hold people responsible for breaking the law. The punishments must fit the crimes. In our community the local races seem to get the most attention. Maybe we feel the state and federal governments are too distant to feel our needs.
By the time I’m picking the peas, the elections will be over.  As I take care of their growth, I will take care of being a well-informed voter and I urge us all the take responsibility for knowing what’s going on and who we trust to follow through on their promises and work for us and our well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment