Thursday, January 1, 2015

Day 311



New calendars in place. Minnie is calm after the gun shots and fire crackers in the night. Ready for whatever comes next. All the senior news are out with Kelle’s help and a couple of walks happened too. Today I want to poke and putter finding places to sort. Kelle has rust sandpapered and will spray the rustoleum on the kerosene tank. I didn’t get much weeding done. I’m ready to experience 2015 in the best way I can. 

January column
Ending one year and beginning a new one offers a chance to evaluate how life is going. Any parts that need adjusting such as habits, relationships, opportunities are open to quality checks. Gratitude is important to me. Keeping in mind how abundant my life is and knowing that it takes acknowledgement to keep it healthy. One big resolution that I make annually is Do It Now. Acting on impulses, little whispers, clues that are important to take care of immediately have filled my life with treasures. Here are two examples that have deep meaning for me:
At a meeting of the Volunteers in Police Service another member, Gene Lyssenko, stated the need for a new partner. He looked around the table and I knew he meant another man. Taking the risk, in a tiny voice, I said, “I’ll be your partner.” A long silence that felt like I hadn’t spoken at all was followed by, “We can try that.” Thus began a partnership that was full to the brim with his wisdom and generosity. Gene was my best friend and we shared freely and safely for years that were full of his gifts of fish, garden produce, but mainly companionship. It was Gene who told me that compassion for the homeless would be good for my soul. So often I have thanked myself for speaking up at just the right minute to make my life a lot better.
My longtime friend Wendell Peterson, who introduced me to St. Paul’s, gave up driving and would call when he wanted to go shopping for more items than he wanted to carry back to his apartment. One day I shopped too and had my grocery cart behind him. At the meat counter, he said, “Why don’t you buy that pork leg, roast potatoes, get applesauce, make a salad, and invite me to dinner.” On he went with his list in his hand and I did exactly what he suggested. I did not say, “I’ll get around to it.” I did it right then and there. When dinner was ready, I picked him up and we enjoyed our meal together. I fixed him a plate to take home and delivered him back to his place. Two days later, he was found dead in his chair with his newspaper on his lap. Again, I have thanked myself for grabbing the impulse and acting on it.
If you do one big thing in this new year, make it a point to listen to your own messages about actions that can make a difference for yourself and others. It could be a poke from Spirit giving guidance that result in good work.

1 comment: