Thursday, May 1, 2014

Day 66



It was 90 yesterday and will be hot again today. I don’t enjoy the heat. Makes me melt into a puddle of nothing. The party yesterday was fun. I visited with Trish and Katie and that’s always a good thing. Barbara Clark called. We had a long catch up conversation. She is one of the many prizes for volunteering. It works when a connection forms with time to develop personal interests. I’m not looking forward to another hot day.

May senior news column
https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif
Even when Mother was into her nineties, even when she lost track of daily activities like what she had for lunch, she could sing all the words to Alexander’s Rag Time Band and Barney Google with his Goo Goo Googley eyes. Mother loved music and the highlight of her week at the residence where she lived out her life was the appearance of the “piano man”. He came and she wheeled herself up close and hummed along, keeping time by tapping her fingers. He played oldies that she enjoyed especially songs like ‘Let me call you sweetheart” and hymns like “Morning has Broken”. When she recognized the tune her face would turn pink and her posture would straighten with attention and enjoyment and happy memories of her young days. I have great regard for those who bring their talents to residences where such stimulation may not happen often.
Here in Crescent City we have a traveling group who call themselves “The Boondock Band.” There are between four and eight members depending on work schedules and they regularly visit the Senior Center, assisted living facilities, convalescent homes and are often featured at public events like Art Walks. The instruments vary, autoharp, mandolin, guitar, and voices that sing with vigor the folk songs, oldies, and familiar tunes that encourage singing along. Our long tall Texan sings a song with that name that brings laughter to all. Sometimes they march around singing “When the Saints Go Marching In”, inviting the residents to march and sing with them. Visitors and staff members enjoy the music too.
A couple of years ago my granddaughter, Megan, collected songs about mothers to create a CD as a Mother’s Day gift. She found many sentimental songs dating back years as mothers have been serenaded forever. Her favorites were current melodies devoted to mothers that included “In My Daughter’s Eyes” and “I Hope You Dance”. Both songs brought tears to her mother, Hollie, and she turned to me and said “Ditto” from her heart. Who wouldn’t feel emotional if they heard, “In my daughter’s eyes I am a hero. I am strong and wise and I know no fear. But the truth is plain to see. She was sent to rescue me. I see who I want to be in my daughter’s eyes.”
I can still picture my mother and the simple pleasure that music brought her at a time when pleasures were few.


No comments:

Post a Comment